Monday, March 24, 2008

Argentina


[i]

Woah, we are terribly far behind so I will catch you up in a business-like fashion.

Puerto Natales, Chile After a bit of Patagonian hiking, Met Matt and Bianca off their ship and partied it up with them and their new fabby German friends. Bus to Argentina:

El Calafate (cutesy little Swiss-like town) Bumped into Antonie, the fifth member of our Uyuni tour group! Spent the next morning catching up. Took boat ride and walk to see one of the most active Glaciers in the mundo! The Perito Moreno Glacier. Ooh!

El Chaltèn Tiny little town set up for hiking the northern end of Los Glaciares National Park. Spent the first two beautifully sunny days hiking amongst spectacular scenery and autumn colors surrounding Mt Fitz Roy.


Third day signed up to go ice climbing on one of the glaciers, but it was cancelled midway due to extremely high winds. Had some FABULOUS meals. Great grilled lamb and the tastiest morcilla (black pudding/blood sausage) we've ever eaten at a bijoux restaurant named El Muro. Brilliant salad at the german brewery. Such a treat to eat vegetables! Up to this point on our trip, the food has been mostly unremarkable.

Bariloche A tourist mecca and jumping off point for Argentina's lake district. Chocolate and ice-cream shops, quaint wooden chalet buildings. Very expensive souvenirs. Did a day's horseriding on the hills overlooking the lakes. Fabulous day. Felt like I was living the dream, the wind caressing the bits of hair underneath my blue helmet, woman and beast as one. My horse was a little more strong willed than Tracy's, the ranch owner's and his assistant's, but I was just loving the whole experience, unified with nature and feeling invincible like a cross between John Wayne and Joan of Arc. Just after lunch, cowboy style fried steak sandwiches, the owner of the stables asked if I wanted to swap horses. I was a little puzzled, but declined, since I didn't mind that my horse would suddenly refuse to move, or would continuosly nuzzle the butt of the horse in front. I was above worrying myself with these trifles; I was in too good a mood. I would take the worst horse, I didn't mind taking it for the team. Then just as I was slowly going down hill with my steed, the owner gallops up to me and rasps "Get off your horse. You can not control. It too much for you!" In shock, I dismount and swap horses with his assistant. Though humiliated I try to remain cheerful. I almost succeed, until we get back to Bariloche and I buy an ice cream to lift my spirits. The ice-cream guy mistakenly addresses me as 'Señor'. . . Must purchase pink ribbons. Take flight to:

Buenos Aires Big old B.A. How thrilling to be in a big city. Have nice meals, lots of café time, fantastic museums, parks, a beautiful cemetary, a thunderstorm, the underground, the flea markets and antiques. Craft fairs and street demonstrations. The artsy San Telmo area, swanky Palermo, saw a movie, watched tango dancers on the streets. Walked over 8 hours everyday. Were exhausted after 4 days. Took Supercama (chairs fully recline like a bed) overnight bus to the border of Argentina, Paraguay and Brazil to see the Iguazu falls.

Iguazu Falls Spent three days exploring the widest falls in the world. Walked the many trails to the overlooks, took the jungle jeep ride and the boat ride under the fall to get drenched. Even did a little swimming. After the Argentinian side, once Tracy got her visa for Brazil, (we Brits don't need one) we went to see the falls from the Brazilian side. Not so much interaction with the water but better panoramic views. Flew to Sáo Paulo....

April 17th- Currently in Rio de Janeiro...wooo hooooo! and heading to the island of Fernando de Noronha for a week. Look out for the next blog: Brazil!

1 comment:

moirac said...

Ing, Loved the horse riding episode. Can understand why your pride was hurt. Why din't you put that guy in his place. After all you managed perfectly well in the front row of the 'charge' scene in Braveheart!