Wednesday, April 10, 2013

PCT Preparation 2

Yo Ratfans.

OMG, we are finally heading south to begin our hike. After a month of preparation in Seattle, last night we picked up a rental car, packed it with resupply boxes to drop off at friends and family in California, and left this morning.



We had a butt load to do yesterday, like every day so far. As usual we were up and at 'em by 7:30 am. Here are just some of the things we had on our list:

• finalize last few resupply boxes
• meet with Megan and her new 1 year old for breakfast
• return extra seal a meal supplies to Costco
• home to meet Tracy's mom who arrived with cats in camper van for the night
• pick up ice axe leashes at REI
• go to Vietnamese lunch, short ribs and vermicelli noodles
• research and book rental cars
• collect rental car
• precision pack car with 16 remaining California resupply boxes
• hoover, clean basement, sort and pack
• take Mary's car, which she let us borrow for a month!, to car wash
• quick vietnamese Pho at place near Beth and Mary's place
• paper work, uploading of files etc
• say goodbye to computers
• final hot tub under stars
• floss, brush, bed

The best bit of the day was at the self-service car wash. We had gone there, I thought obviously, to clean the car. Within seconds of arriving Tracy was suddenly armed with the soap brush attachment and power hose. I was relegated to reading the instructions, loading the coins and "making sure the hose doesn't tangle". She acted so quickly I didn't have time to question my not-nearly-so-fun role. Just as this was beginning to sink in, Tracy's mom pops her head out the back door of the car and asks "Do you want me to stay in or get out?"  Tracy tells her to just stay in. Tracy's mom then answers "Okay, I'm just going to clip my nails"   !     I couldn't believe my ears. Anyway, we all had a good laugh about it afterwards. Now driving down to Chico (11 hour drive!) staying with Lanai, and seeing Melissa and Steph tomorrow morning before driving to San Francisco to stay with Robyn and Tony for a couple of days. Still need to buy shoes!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yes, I am the Mom who clipped her nails! What else is a good Mom to do? These two gals are terrific. I am so glad they are part of my family. Good luck you two! I will stay tuned. Mom (my manicure looks great by the way)