Thursday, May 2, 2013

Mile 116 - 132 Agua Caliente Creek to sandy creek bed north of Combs Peak

Fell asleep last night to a chorus of frogs. Very orchestral. I actually think they've been practicing and knew they had an audience. First there was a little tenor frog. "Ribbit" then silence. He croaked again a little louder "Ribbit". A buxom soprano frog replied "rrribiiiiiiiiiiit". There then ensued an exquisite call and reply, with a few more voices entering the chorus each time until, building in volume and complexity, there was a full orchestra of croaks, ribbits and bwaaps.

Got on the trail at 6 ish. The desert flowers are all blooming in this area. Manzanita, Indian paintbrush, you name it. (cos I can't) For some reason Tracy expects me to know the names of all the plants. Loathe to disappoint her, I decided to fake it and call everything I didn't know a Laburnum.
Anyway, with the abundance of wild flowers, bees, the odd butterfly and humming bird, the trail was quite enchanting. Like the scene from Disney's Snow White. Except imagine Snow White sweaty, stained and limping.

I have an ankle thing happening. Not sure exactly what's wrong but it throbs at night and I get stabbing pains when I step a certain way. Just hoping it's muscular and that I haven't ripped or torn something.

Walked 11 miles to the next water supply at Mikes hiker haven. We had a coke, rested under the shade, washed our shirts and hair in a bucket and cooked lunch. Then at 4pm we limped a further 5 miles to Mile 132 and found a nice place on sand and protected by bushes to camp.



No comments: