Thursday, May 30, 2013

Mile 518- 544 Hiker Town to near Gamble Spring Canyon

Spent a lovely evening in our trailer last night eating our Japanese soba meal with seaweed. Nice for a change. This morning we got up and knocked on Sadie's door and the three of us left at 6:15am. We then walked along the 16 mile LA aqueduct. The first small part of it the water was exposed, but the remainder was closed. 

Although we had heard that this was an arduous hot and dull part of the pct, we really enjoyed it. It was nice to walk on something other than a 12 inch path. We could walk side by side. There was also a nice breeze and plenty of amazing Joshua trees and desert scapes to look at. 

After the long straight flat terrain we had a long uphill section through a giant wind farm. The wind turbines were whirring impressively. I thought this was normal but apparently the 65 mph wind was not commonplace. 

After 24 miles we reached a campsite tucked into a canyon. Tracy announced it was the "perfect spot". Windless, next to a creek, the first water source in 24 miles, and plenty of flat spots. Sadie wanted to stay. But I had only one thing on my mind. The Best Western motel in Tehachapi.

 I reasoned that the more we hiked today, the fewer miles we'd have to walk tomorrow and the sooner we could revel in the luxury of weather-proof rooms, comfy beds, hot shower, pool, hot tub, laundry .....

I "won", we hugged goodbye to Sadie and we moved on, but darkness was approaching and the wind was increasing. Every possible campsite I pointed out Tracy responded,  "are you joking", "not nearly as good as the one in the canyon", or "it's too sloped", "I preferred the one in the canyon", "Crap". 

However,  we had to choose something before it got too dark. I saw something promising off the trail down  hill a little. This spot looks good, Tracy!" I pronounced as I  stood leaning at a crafty angle which  I hoped would make the ground appear more even. "And I think we're protected from the wind down here!" I shouted in a lull between gusts. Tracy conceded. This would have to make do.

Later that night we were both woken up by the wind battering the sides of the tent and sand being flicked up in our faces because the fly had come loose. We took the fly sheet off which helped. Fortunately there was no rain. 

26 miles today. A marathon with a backpack!













No comments: