Sunday, July 7, 2013

Mile 1032-1050 Boulder Creek to just after Highway 4

It was a hot muggy day, and the scenery was somewhat Jurassic, lots of volvanic rock formations. Lots of flies, cow dung but a great array of wild flowers. Had  Lunch  with Katie, One Pint and Positive. Some Russian hikers recommended Noble lake. Tracy and I thought we'd have an afternoon swim there. It was slime green with floaters. I thought I would at least wash my feet in the lake outlet which appeared to be slightly cleaner. I ended up flicking a long slimy string of wriggling black maggoty things onto to my foot. Yuch! I ended up using my filtered water to clean it off.

We were all expecting another storm, as that's what the locals were predicting. However we were lucky and the day remained sunny. We had planned to camp at a small lake beyond Highway 4, but when we reached the highway we were met by a trail angel, Brian, and lots of goodies. What a lovely surprise. We had milk and chocolate cake, beef jerky, ice water, and fruit gummies. He even gave us water for cooking so we didn't have to walk till the next water source. We chatted for a while and then found a great camp spot up the hill nearby. The five of us had a lovely evening together. 

After the high sierras with the high altitude and daily ups over passes and long downs, we were all surprised how easy it was to do 18 miles today.




1 comment:

papa jamie said...

Nice to see you are not forgetting to hug the trees!
XXX