Friday, July 19, 2013

Mile 1197 Sierra City

Breakfast at the inn followed by errands. A box of special sealed bags for our food never arrived so we had to go to the 
post office and sort stuff out to forward it when it shows up. 
Lanai arrived early in the afternoon and we showed her around and hung out with the other hikers for a while. Then we went off for a swim in the river. After a relaxing few hours we said goodbye to Cherub who is continuing on the trail today. 

My hair has been getting in my eyes so I recently  attacked my fringe with my penknife but it's now time for a professional. I asked around for a hair stylist. I was told to see Cheryl at bar at the end of town. 
Lanai, Tracy and I went to check it out.  Two "Salty Dogs" (grapefruit cocktails) later we were invited for carne tacos by some really nice locals. Cheryl, doesn't get back to town till late tomorrow, so no hair action.  We decline the kind invitation and eat at The Buckhorn Inn. 

We were settling down in our tent tonight just as it got dark and I was about to begin the blog when Tracy calls out in alarm "OMG Ingrid, look away! Get down." I knew it was something serious and I watched her flatten into the ground and bury her head in her hands. I imagined a machine gun killer and wondered how the millimeter thick tent nylon would protect us. Then she shouts "Bear!" I quickly looked up to see this huge animal lumbering off into the dark. It was only a few feet from our tent when Tracy saw it. If only she had said the word "Bear" before "look away" and "get down" I might have gotten a photo. I am glad she shouted something though to frighten it off. 





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the T shirt. Look at yer wee rosie cheeks! xxx