Monday, September 2, 2013

Mile 2007-2018 Bend to Koko Lake

Woke up in the comfort of Scott and Siiris guest room. Took care of a lot of business, uploading photos, called Suntactics to replace solar panel, extended travel insurance etc. and most importantly called the US immigration regarding my visa. Wasn't sure if I'd have to leave the country if my application for extension isn't approved before the 6th of September when my tourist visa runs out. Good news, as long as my application is pending, I am not in unlawful status. In other words I can continue the hike until I reach Canada and if I still haven't heard anything by then I just need to show my application and receipt letter to get back into the US. Phew! Much relieved. 
Scott cooked us steak and eggs for breakfast and patiently waited for us to get packed, fill boxes for the post office and do paperwork before he drove us around ticking off last minute errands. As we passed by Sisters we were all getting hungry so stopped off for a deli sandwich  lunch. Then he drove us to the trailhead where we said our goodbyes. Scott and Siiri were incredible hosts; not only did we have a good time getting to know them, get a great tour and feeling for Bend, but we left feeling rested and with all our tasks complete.  
By the time we got to the trail we decided just to walk for 10 miles to the next water source. We passed by the striking Three Fingered Jack mountain and camped by Koko Lake. Katie in a bizarre uncharacteristic bid for cleanliness decided to carry hair conditioner with her. Scott insisted she take one of his little plastic bottles to carry it in. She said she would be totally fine with a little ziplock bag. When she arrived at camp she sat on a rock and it exploded in her back pocket. At least her bum is conditioned. 





No comments: