Sunday, September 22, 2013

Mile 2413-2438 Huckleberry Mountain to Walput River

There was frost on the ground as we left camp. Last night was the first night since early on in the desert that my sleeping bag just kept me warm enough. Usually my bag is way too warm so I actually had a great night's sleep. Hiked 6 miles before stopping for breakfast and coffee. Found a perfect little spot off trail with a magnificent overlook of the valley and lake below and towering snow-capped mountains above. We have been worried about reports that it will rain tomorrow, but we met a hiker who had talked to guys doing bridge maintenance and apparently "high pressure blah, blah, 4 definite days of sunshine ahead". Yippee! I hope he's right. The scenery has been fantastic today. Lots of elevation change, but we enjoy a good climb when there are views. Had to take our shoes off and ford a river today. Feet felt great afterwards. 

Found a great campsite to ourselves near a river and Tracy has built a fire while I've been writing this. 
Now I get to eat one of our fave meals and then, as I was able to update my iPod at Beth and Mary's house, we will listen to a podcast for the first time before going to sleep in our cosy tent. 







1 comment:

jeff-n-sue said...

Keep on Keeping On you guys! You're almost there! I hope you get better weather than we did. Be careful of the slides/washouts--near mile 2648 they are wicked.

Thinkin of you!
KOKO & The Bald Guy